Southwest Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 ( 7 oz) package elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole or 2% milk
- 1 ( 4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions in boiling, salted water.Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, ground cumin, garlic powder, and black pepper; cook until bubbly.Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Add diced green chiles.Reduce heat to low and add cheese, stirring until melted and smooth.Drain cooked macaroni; add to cheese sauce and stir to coat evenly.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Kitchen Kimberley’s Tips:• Got leftovers? Place them into a lightly greased baking dish and top with additional shredded Pepper Jack cheese, to taste. Bake or microwave until heated through and cheese is melted.• For a variation on this recipe, stir in one can of chili with beans and cook until heated through. Now enjoy your “Cheesy Southwest Chili Mac”!